November 7, 2011

A Little Town Called Ambleside

You're probably wondering where Ambleside even is, since I myself hadn't even heard of it until I actually went there. Well it's a quaint little town in the Lakes District in England. The town itself is really cute, but the surrounding mountains just add to the beauty! Now that I've been there, I would definitely consider this town one of my favorites I've been to on my journey through the UK. 


During our stay in Ambleside we went to The Apple Pie Bakery for breakfast both mornings, which I would highly recommend! 



And the million dollar question---do they serve apple pie for breakfast? Well, the answer is yes, they do! And of course I had to try it out. And when I was asked whether I wanted ice cream or not, I almost instantly said yes (and didn't regret it). If i'm having apple pie for breakfast, might as well go all out and add ice cream too! 


Yes, Ambleside is a very intimate town where everyone probably knows everyone, but it has so many places to go and things to do just a short distance away, which was the main reason I liked this town so much! Usually I'm not a fan of really tiny towns, having grown up in Houston my entire life, but the relaxing atmosphere of this one instantly drew me in. Outdoor activities are definitely emphasized in this town. You'll find a recreational sporting goods store on nearly every corner, 16 to be exact, but it really is a great place to just enjoy the magnificent scenery and the literary and artistic heritage. Speaking of literary heritage, one of the nearby places we visited was Dove Cottage, also known as the home of the brilliant poet, William Wordsworth.



It was a very interesting tour and gave me a lot of insight into the life of William Wordsworth. Looking through his bedroom windows, it's easy to see how he was inspired to write such beautiful poetry!


In fact, I think I could be just as famous if I would have lived here with a view like this! Well, maybe...

After visiting so many small towns and loving them all, I've decided bigger is not always better (as commonly said in Texas). Small towns like Ambleside have so much character and so much natural beauty. It's refreshing to escape from the hustle and bustle of big cities, and besides, I've never seen a free baby being given away in Houston!


I hope you'll take some time out of your next vacation to England to spend a couple of days in Ambleside and exploring the nearby towns. Be sure and have some delicious apple pie for breakfast, and who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and get a free child!

-Kristi Keese








  

No comments:

Post a Comment